Monday, January 19, 2009

Upcoming Spring Gobbler

2009 is upon us and the spring turkey season is on my mind. I am lucky that I will have a whole two weeks off for this upcoming season. This has me thinking ahead about hunts I want to go on and what I want done before then.

My main goal is to get in shape. I have been field training for the better part of 18 months and my bike riding has suffered. First step will be bike riding on my days off. I plan on taking the Trek mountain bike out in the national forest for exercise and scouting as soon as the weather breaks.

My second goal is to do some cyber scouting via http://earth.google.com/ and http://www.terraserver.com/ which I then will follow up with foot and bike scouting trips. The last couple of years I have slacked off when it came to scouting and my seasons have shown this.

My third goal is to do some patterning with my Stoeger 2000. I am thinking about trying a new choke for this shotgun to extend my range a few yards. I am a 25 yard or closer shooter but would like to feel confident in 40 yards if I had to.

I hope to keep this blog up and running on my season along with shooting and policing that I am involved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment